Saturday, March 31, 2012

        I wanted to start off this blog for a number of reasons. One reason I wanted a blog was to see what all the hype was about "blogging." The second reason, and probably the main reason was when I thought about my blog topic.
        I have been hunting and fishing ever since I can remember. My father was and is still, an avid sportsman. Everything that I have learned about the outdoors has been from him. He has been hunting and fishing for his entire life. At one point he worked for the State Department of Mass in the parks division. I grew up in a small town in Western Mass.  Throughout my youth,  I have experienced and enjoyed a number of hunts. I hunted turkey in the spring, whitetail from October through December, as well as waterfowl, upland game, and hare in the winter. I have fished both saltwater and freshwater from offshore as well as kayak, canoe, and my father's infamous 17' aluminum blue fin.
      I love reading books and magazines about hunting and fishing. I am forever browsing the internet for better gear, hunting, fishing and training tips, as well as using google earth to survey better areas to go. I love watching hunting and fishing shows on TV as well and finding free episodes online. The one thing I have come away with all this is that there are very few websites, TV shows, and literature about hunting in the Northeast, here in New England. This bothers me in a number of ways. From a hunting perspective there is little to no coverage of what happens here in New England. When in my opinion, hunting here is the more challenging then the things depicted in the media.
      After graduating college in Rhode Island, I moved to the eastern part of Massachusetts. Living out here I have experienced a different kind of hunting. For some game, such as whitetail and turkey, the density of animals is much more. Land wise there is less habitat for them to live on, but with more agriculture there is more food for them as well.  Although this may seem obvious, the hardest part about hunting is figuring out where to go. This has been most challenging for me. Coming from Western Mass, there is no shortage of places to go. Public land is everywhere. Out here people are much more aware of where there boundaries are, and I might add, that they will die to protect them. I guess thats what happens when places start to become over crowded.
     Would it  be nice to see a 10-12 point buck every time I went out because of plot management? Could I pay thousands of dollars to take a trip to a ranch somewhere out west where they raise deer and other wildlife like cattle? Sure. However, I feel the excitement of hunting only grows more and more when hunting here in New England. Taking a 10 point buck here is such a point of pride. Something that might only happen once in your life, if at all. Venture outside of the New England boundary and its not the same. That is why I wanted to start something fellow New England Sportsman could look at, read, and share with other New England outdoor enthusiasts.
     Feel free to email me your New England hunting or fishing experience and I will be more than happy to share it.  Thanks and happy hunting.

brubru2452@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment