Monday, November 7, 2022

Deer Hunting 2021

 I didn't spend anytime scouting or running cameras in the early season because I was gearing up for a trip to Wyoming. I missed a lot of the early season bow hunting, but spent a considerable amount of time in a stand after that. I had an opportunity on a really nice buck that came into a grunt call on Nov 5 in Yarmouth. I took a shot at 40 yards but missed low and in front of the brisket. The buck jumped back and then spooked after I tried to grunt him back in. 

Later that year, during shotgun I sat in a stand that I hadn't seen much in earlier in the year, but during the "late rut" when the yearlings were coming into heat, a small doe came running by my stand. I did not have a doe tag for zone 12 so I let her pass and this turned out to be in my benefit because a nice mature buck was hot on her heels. I shot him at 40 yards and he didn't run 20 yards before tipping over.

The day before shooting that buck I did a drive on opening day with Johnny, Rob, and Nate. I jumped a spike and unloaded on him but missed. He ran right into Rob who dropped him with a load of buck shot.

During muzzleloader on a deer drive in Rehoboth I had another really nice buck come to me. My radio, (which was on way to loud) went off and spooked him. We stared out each other for what seemed like forever. I swung my muzzleloader around and took a shot as he started to run. I found a little hair, but no blood and without much else to go on wasn't able to recover him. Little Tom saw him run past but didn't have a shot. Even though I didn't pack my freezer with MA tags I had a successful year with 1 mule deer, 1 pronghorn, and a nice white-tailed buck. 







My Dad shot a monster Florida Mountain buck during shotgun by the Deerfield. 


We also took a late season MV trip with my Dad, Rob, and Nate. We stayed in an Air BnB in West Tisbury. The first night Rob shot a doe, but we had a lack of action after that. I took a pop shot on a doe in a thicket of briars but missed. We checked out the state forest but didn't see much. The deer might have been pushed out by the shotgun season or they just headed to wintering areas not on any accessible land. 




No comments:

Post a Comment