Saturday, September 1, 2018

Fishing 2018

Fishing 2018
This season had its ups and downs, but overall it was successful. I fished mainly from my small 16' center console and my buddies 21' on commercial days. I did a charter trip on the Emma Jack out of S Yarmouth for a tournament and came in 3rd place with the striper on the scale pictured below.

I had by far one of the best days I've ever experienced in Cape Cod Bay in August. I worked a midnight shift and towed my boat to work with me. When I got out of work I made my way to the ramp but did not get far before the skies opened up on me. I had to wait until the rolling thunder storm passed. As I made my way towards the east end of the canal the skies opened up again. I did my best to keep from getting struck by lightning and wound up snagging a few macks with the sabiki. On my way to meet up with a buddy on another boat the calm waters exploded all around me. I was set up with a small white top water plug for schoolies. This plug was not prepared for the thrashing it was about to take. 

For about 2 hours as the tide went high and slack their was a feed like I've never seen. I caught fish on everything I through at them. Live lining macks, tube and worm, but my personal favorite, top water plugs. I kept the biggest fish of the day, ( I now regret the fact that I did this and would have rather put it back). I brought it to Powderhorn Outfitters because I thought it would get me a state pin. Unfortunately it didn't make the 40 lb cut and wound up somewhere in the 36 lb class.

On my buddy's commercial boat most nights/days were fishless. But we managed the get one day where we hit the limit. The season never closed due to the quota never being met. A gloomy look at the overfished fishery. Overall many small fish were around, as long as they are given the chance to grow, and regulations change, the fishery should bounce back.






No comments:

Post a Comment