Friday, February 5, 2021

Waterfowl 2020-2021

 Waterfowl 2020-2021

    I really didn't spend anytime hunting waterfowl until 2021, when deer season is done and I have a month of coastal ducks on top of another two months of late season geese. My first outing was an afternoon by the Scorton's Creek inlet in Sandwich. The wind and current pushed me into a nice little area, but I had to call it early because I had a struggle getting my kayak back to the launch, but the next morning I brought my friend Louie out to that spot and was able to bag a mallard.







    I didn't hit up most of my usual spots this year. I focused on finding new areas. One of those areas was Barnstable harbor. My buddy Tom brought out his bass boat, dressed up it to a duck boat and we made our way into the marshes on the back side of Sandy Neck. We saw A LOT of ducks. Huge groups of eiders and other sea ducks. We found a little hiding spot and were able to bang at a lot of birds. We only ended up getting one, but the action was constant.




    

    This year was the first time I got into the late season goose season. It runs late through February so its another activity to stretch out the year. The action was great, and by the late season with some snow on the ground we were able to hide next to a pile of packaged hay bails. Hunting the front side of snow storms made for a productive day.













No comments:

Post a Comment