Monday, May 6, 2024

Birds 2024


     With Colorado messing up the time frame where my Dad an I usually go to the north woods, I only had a small window to hunt wild birds. Around late October we did a day trip to some local woods in Western, MA. We shot a woodcock and then hit up a stocked area where my Dad's springer flushed a hen pheasant. Thanksgiving morning I went back out for pheasant and we shot one over my dogs and the other one failed to flush and my Dad's springer brought it to us without a shot needed. 

    I also took my buddy Johnny out for his first year as a bird hunter and we got him a hen pheasant. He also came out with me later that year for ducks. He said an Old Squaw or long tail duck during a wicked Nor' Easter. Later on during the duck season I shot a beautiful hooded merganser that I am hoping to get mounted.  There was one really awesome time while pheasant hunting, while running both dogs, they both locked up on point, I walked in and flushed a hen, and dropped her with one shot. Piper brought the bird back and it was magic. The kind of moment where everything comes together.






  

No comments:

Post a Comment