Monday, May 6, 2024

Colorado!


     

My cousin, who lives in Colorado got married in September of 2023. This just so happened to coincide with elk hunting season. I decided that I didn't have enough money or time to buy an OTC elk tag, so inside I tagged along with my cousin's future husband and brother for my first ever elk hunt. All three of us were novices so I knew our chances would be low, but the experience was like no other. 

    The first day we hiked about 10 miles, climbing a mountain over 11,000 feet in elevation. Along the way we heard several bugles and tried to close the distance, unsuccessfully. At the top of this mountain was a remote alpine lake, crystal clear, filled with hungry cut-throat trout. 












    I filled the rest of the week with fly fishing. We hit up the well-known South Platte, and the ever-popular Deckers. We also did the "dream stream" area with a guide with no luck. Then we checked out a small, stocked area where we caught countless little stocked rainbows. All in all it was great to just get outside and see what Colorada had to offer. We had a few moose sightings, blue grouse, a bunch of mule deer, and even some rocky mountain rams on the side of the road. 














  

No comments:

Post a Comment